Knowledgeable Scranton Lawyers Fight for Your Compensation
Pennsylvania firm serves clients in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties
At The Law Firm of Cognetti & Cimini in Scranton, we are proven personal injury lawyers with a long, successful track record. When you’ve been hurt in an auto accident or another type of incident caused by someone else’s negligence, our attorneys can evaluate the circumstances and advise if you have grounds for a lawsuit. From there, we deliver strong counsel and representation all while helping personal injury plaintiffs and the loved ones of wrongful death victims pursue full compensation in a judgment or settlement.
Skillful litigators handle all types of injury cases
Our attorneys have more than 60 years of combined experience providing compassionate legal counsel in personal injury cases relating to:
- Auto accidents — In cases stemming from all types of auto accidents, including collisions involving trucks, motorcycles and pedestrians, we deliver strong advocacy for victims during negotiations and, if necessary, in court.
- Construction accidents — Active construction sites pose hazards to workers and bystanders. Our accomplished construction accident attorneys review the facts thoroughly to identify any potential defendants when an injury occurs.
- Slip and fall — If you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall incident on someone else’s property, we can assess if the property owner is legally responsible for your injury and pursue appropriate relief in a premises liability lawsuit.
- Workers’ compensation — Even if your employer is not at fault for a job-related injury or illness, you should receive reimbursement for healthcare costs and lost income through the workers’ compensation program.
- Medical malpractice — Doctors and hospitals that fail to follow professional standards put their patients in serious danger. Our firm collects the necessary expert testimony and scientific evidence to develop strong medical malpractice claims.
- Wrongful death — Following a fatality caused by the carelessness or intentional misconduct of a business or individual, we advise estate representatives and surviving family members on wrongful death litigation against the liable parties.
- Defective products — When someone suffers physical harm due to a defective product, our attorneys take action so that negligent manufacturers, designers and sellers can be held accountable.
Whatever led to your injury, our firm has the ability and determination to secure the payment you deserve.
Types of damages available under Pennsylvania law
Compensatory damages are intended to restore injured people to the position they were in before being hurt. If you suffer an injury based on someone else’s negligence, our Scranton personal injury and workers' compensation attorneys can help you recover damages for:
|· Current and past medical expenses
· Future estimated medical costs
· Permanent disfigurement
· Permanent disability
· Lost wages
· Costs directly related to the injury
|· Property damages (vehicle repair or replacement)
· Assistance for household chores
· Emotional distress—depression, anxiety, etc.
· Diminished future earning capacity
In some cases involving outrageous or malicious conduct, punitive damages are also awarded to sanction wrongdoers and prevent them from harming others.
What can you expect to recover?
Even if they are partly responsible for their injury, Pennsylvanians who are injured by someone else’s carelessness or willful conduct might still be able to secure compensation. Under the state’s comparative negligence law, plaintiffs can recover damages as long as the percentage of fault assigned to them is less than 51 percent. In these cases, the award would be reduced by share of the victim’s responsibility for their injury. For example, if a driver incurs $250,000 of damages in an SUV rollover due to a defective roof, but a jury holds that the victim is 10 percent responsible for their injury because of inattention, the award would total $225,000.
Why you should hire an experienced attorney
When an incident occurs that might give rise to a personal injury claim, insurance company lawyers go to work immediately to help defendants escape their legal liability. Retaining your own attorney gives you the ability to understand what type of compensation you’re entitled to under Pennsylvania law. We won’t let you get bullied into giving up your rights in exchange for a settlement that fails to address the full extent of the harm you’ve suffered. As our firm works tirelessly to secure the maximum payment in a verdict or settlement, we will also work to relieve the stress and frustration often associated with the legal process.
Contact a dedicated Scranton personal injury lawyer for a free consultation
The Law Firm of Cognetti & Cimini represents northeast Pennsylvania clients in a full range of personal injury matters. Please call 570-955-3251 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. All cases are handled on contingency, so you pay nothing unless we obtain a financial recovery for you. Located near the courthouse in Scranton, we offer flexible office hours and convenient parking.